The false dichotomy of reason vs. emotion

I recently was forced to read Kant’s Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals. The experience of reading Kant is one characterized by pure pain. To wash this bitter taste out of my mouth, I decided to reread Margaret Olivia Little’s Seeing and Caring. Little starts her essay out by discussing the history of a certain view – the view that sees emotions as being separate and subordinate to dispassionate reasoning. Little draws a clear connection to misogyny: philosophers viewed women as more emotional and less rational, and the normative view that places rationality above emotionality is a reflection of the view that places men above women.

Along similar lines as Little, I would like to further explore and criticize the general narrative that emotions are at odds with and subordinate to dispassionate reason, but my focus in this short blog is exclusively on the false dichotomy between reason and passionate emotions that Little addresses, rather than the argument for care ethics that she puts forward in her essay. This dichotomy (or at least the more explicit and extreme versions of it) has seemingly become less popular in contemporary philosophy, however, it is still very ingrained in public consciousness, where individuals are lauded as “rational” when they are calm, and “irrational” (or sometimes “triggered”) when they are angry, distraught, or otherwise emotional. What is the problem with this narrative, and what roles might it serve?

Problems with the reason vs. emotion dichotomy

There are several problems with the idea that emotions are at odds with reason. The first is that it overestimates the power and reliability of reason. In classical philosophy there is often a presumption of an almost magical reasoning ability that we can tap into to discover truth. Some classical philosophers write as though they have no idea what truth they will end up discovering, and are just observing their own impartial reason to see where it takes them – then, by some miracle, pure reason ends up confirming their pre-existing views. Descartes starts out in The Meditations by “doubting everything,” and ends up by reaffirming many of his prior views on things like the existence and nature of God. I am not of the belief that people are incapable of being reasonable, or that reason does not exist; but, we should not fool ourselves into thinking that we can tap into an unbiased, pure form of reasoning. Anyone who thinks they are doing so is using a particularly flawed and dangerous form of reasoning – one that is unaware of its own limitations.

The second problem is that the standard is not applied consistently. When someone like Jordan Peterson cries about the meaning of Disney’s Pinocchio (look this up, if you dare), it is lauded by his fans as brave, inspiring, powerful, and so on. Many of the same people, I would wager, would mock someone like Rashida Tlaib for crying publicly. This example is hypothetical, but there is also research to confirm the existence of race and sex-based double-standards in regards to emotionality. One study, for instance, shows that participants were more likely to attribute anger to the person, rather than the situation, when the person expressing anger is a black woman.

The third problem is that it frames displays of anger and sadness as irrational, even when they are the result of an injustice.  And, as we have seen, this is often attributed unequally. So, if a powerful person loses their cool, many will say “he was just provoked by the situation.” If a less-powerful person loses their cool, they will likely be dismissed as irrational or crazy.

What does this narrative do?

The dichotomy between reason and emotion is something that has become a kind of background assumption. It is possible that one of the roles that this cliche serves is to gaslight people with legitimate grievances and thereby preserve the status quo. Someone who is rightfully angry about an injustice may be dismissed because they are acting “overly emotional,” leading them to become more enraged and be taken even less seriously. Similarly, people who can articulate themselves in a dispassionate kind of way can easily be labeled as “reasonable” or “logical,” even when they are putting forward ideas which are wholly unreasonable. This isn’t to say that people knowingly and purposefully use this narrative (that reason is at odds with passionate emotions) to gaslight others and defend the status quo, but that perhaps this narrative  may have survived in part because it serves this purpose.

Who can afford to be “rational”?

Importantly, it is also easier to be “rational” when you do not have stake in the game. For instance, it is easier to have impartial, “rational” debates about whether or not a male can identify as a woman if you yourself are not experience life as a trans person. If you yourself are not a member of the group in question, you have the advantage of being able to discuss in a more impartial manner, but this is ability to discuss – let’s say, abortion – impartially, without feeling like your rights are at stake, is not necessarily a laudable thing. It is a kind of privilege that we should be aware and even cautious of.  Perhaps there is something wrong with the fact that I am able to open-mindedly consider both sides of an issue, when one side would not be viable (or at least less so) from certain  standpoints. For instance, a straight person may be able to have a “rational” discussion looking at both sides of something like the morality of gay marriage (perhaps this example is a bit outdated), but this stance would not be a viable option from a gay person’s perspective, since one side seeks to take away your rights. If one side would be impossible to hold from the standpoint of another class or identity-group, because it poses a direct threat, perhaps less cordial respect should be offered to that side of the debate. Admittedly, there is no easy way to figure out precisely what issues are worth treating cordially, and what are beyond the pale, but I believe this principle is at least worth considering. In regards to certain issues, the ability to calmly and impartially consider both sides of a debate is not available, nor even particularly rational, from certain standpoints, because one of the sides seeks to take away your rights or invalidate your existence. For issues like this, perhaps we should not offer cordial respect to both sides of the debate, just as we would not offer it to a debate over the moral wrongness of slavery, or whether women should have the right to vote.*

*just to clarify, this argument is not about free speech, because it is about what perspectives are worthy of respect, not what perspectives should be allowed to be spoken. 

5 thoughts on “The false dichotomy of reason vs. emotion”

1. What an article! I agree with a lot in here. I think after this class it’s hard to see rationalism in the same light. Recognizing emotions and moods are “situational interpretive frameworks” and as ways to understand the world, I think you are spot on in saying how it’s quite convenient how people who “rationally” consider beliefs end up conforming their preexisting ones. I think about how Kant says we must make room for faith in light of reason being able to both prove and disprove certain things (such as the existence of God or of, of all things, atoms). Perhaps that faith is appealing to our emotions to guide us, such as compassion or love. I think what Mr. Dr. Gallegos de Castillo was talking about (in response to a question) about emotions not being something entirely relative but something as possibly universal is interesting in light of this. Overall, great post McIntosh!

2. Hi Mac,

I’m not sure what of the three modules you were addressing here, but it made me think of the one related to empathy. My favorite part of this post is the consideration of the ability to debate impartially about issues that we haven’t necessarily experienced or issues about groups that we don’t belong to. Plus the implications of that false dichotomy that you are mentioning (and I totally agree, it is super false). This is when the beauty of emotional epistemology comes, which has been one of my favorite learned concepts in this class. I personally struggle giving opinions about politics in the US, or mental illnesses in America because of the cultural difference. When I think I have the answer, sometimes I find that I was being too rational and not very empathetic or affective, and therefore I wasn’t finding the truth. Very wise post!

1. Thank you Paula! I think the idea you mentioned about being “too rational” is really interesting. There are definitely times in which I make this mistake. I will sometimes apply rational arguments in a situation where it would be more appropriate to just listen to someone, and I think it is important to know when to express yourself in a skeptical and argumentative way and when to express yourself in a welcoming and empathetic way. Not that that empathy is actually at odds with being rational, but the capital-R “Rational” way of expressing oneself can definitely be inappropriate in some situations, and that is something that I’ve tried to think about and get better at. I think it is interesting to think of rationality as something that has an appropriate time and place, rather than something that is positive across the board.

3. Hi Mac,
    Nicely done! Sorry you were forced to read Kant! I actually don’t mind the read, as an exercise in comprehension. I think you make some good points. As someone who tends to compress emotions, I’m starting to lock on the idea that it’s not about not feeling emotions, but rather to evaluate the situation and regulate the reaction accordingly. I think that it’s possible to do justice to the emotion without allowing a 100% reaction to each and every emotion. I say this because I happen to experience emotions like raindrops. All day every day. I’d be like a lunatic, always switching from laughing to crying to being sad then joking then serious. I agree with your defense of alternative lifestyles, genders, and abortion rights. Unfortunately, I think the source of that kind of thinking is not rational at all, but fear, anger and hate, stemming from someplace where it’s not supposed to be: religion (and other outdated cultural norms).

1. Thank you!

I am kind of glad I had to read Kant, but I just find the guy so stale and unbearable. When I read Kant, I constantly just feel like asking him “Why are you the way that you are?” A part of me just thinks that philosophy would have been better off if he were erased from history. A lot of his ideas seem completely arbitrary to me, like the idea that something must be willed as a universal maxim in order to be ethical/rational. I simply don’t care if my ethical principles could be willed as universal laws. Because of Kant, ethicists now feel the need write about how various policies or practices are or are not universalizable, do or do not use persons as “mere means,” etc., and this is taken to be some kind of meaningful criticism or defense. In my view, whether or not something conforms or violates Kant’s ethical system is of zero importance.

Have you noticed that I’m not a fan of Kant? I’m going to stop ranting about Kant now.

I actually agree with you that intolerant thinking is is not rational at all. It probably would’ve been clearer if I had explained the sense that I am using “rational.” I’m using “rational” in a kind of tongue-in-cheek way, the way that people who describe themselves as “rational” (people like Ben Shapiro, Sam Harris, Jordan Peterson, Eric Weinstein, etc.) use the term. These “rational” types people pride themselves on being able to “have a conversation,” and emphasize the importance of cordial debate and “rational discussion.” They seem to associate “rational” with “calm.” This is the sort of narrative that I’m attempting to criticize, because I think that having a calm and open discussion about certain topics and with certain individuals can be absurd. The point I’m trying to make is that it actually is perfectly rational to act in a way that these people would consider “irrational.” It is rational sometimes to refuse to have a calm discussion with someone, particularly if they believe you (or some other class of people) are inferior and less-deserving of dignity or respect.